Friday, May 22, 2009

Life is getting busy


So it has been awhile since I have sat down and really wrote about our lives in Bermuda. Since Ryan's exam is over, we have been doing more and signing up for some new classes and leagues. First of all, we went out for an excellent dinner for my birthday and the end of hopefully never taking any more actuarial exams (the results for Ryan's exam will come out early July). We wanted a nice dinner and ended up at The Waterlot Inn. The restaurant has one of the most extensive wine menus I have ever seem and all I wanted was a glass of white wine. I ended up with a half bottle for $40 since they didn't offer wine by the glass. We ended up with a great dinner and I would recommend it to anyone that wants a good steak.

For both of our birthday's we have decided to take sailing lessons. The beginner classes start on June 2nd and last for four weeks. We will be on a J/24 with just the two of us and our instructor. If we enjoy it we may take more lessons in the future. A quote from my mother, "If you sail, please do not get lost in the Bermuda Triangle." What a perfect time for a lesson on the Bermuda Triangle. No one in Bermuda talks about the Bermuda Triangle. What I do know is that the triangle is made up of the points of Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and Miami. An article by Brian Schmidt quotes, "A fact that is unexplained about the Bermuda Triangle is that electro-magnetic compasses that normally point to the magnetic north pole, point to the true north pole when used inside the area of the Bermuda Triangle. This phenomena happens in only one place other than the Bermuda Triangle – the Devil’s Sea off the east coast of Asia. Another fact about the Bermuda Triangle that is undeniable is that the area has claimed over 1,000 lives in the past 100 years. Some of these are a result of “human error” in navigating the area. However there are always suspicious or unexplained disappearances happening in the Bermuda Triangle." I may not be a true believer in the paranormal or supernatural, but I do know we won't be taking our sail boat far enough away where I can't see land!

Ryan and I are also playing in a volleyball league starting in June. A group of co-workers and Irish friends started this team. I say Irish friends as the team name is the Irish Mafia. I am also playing in another league on Thursday nights through the church we have attended. June will be a busy month for us as our families are starting to visit as well. We can't wait to have them come so we have an excuse to do all of the touristy things such as snorkeling excursions, boat cruises, parasailing, etc...

Bermuda is getting busy as tourist season is in full force. The attached picture is from a hill we took on our bikes. You can see all the way out to Dockyard where the cruise ships port.

I am really getting acclimated to Bermuda and this different style of living life. Patience is key as things just happen when they get around to doing them. This has been difficult for my job search, but after a couple of positive interviews this month, I do feel that I may end up with a job at some point in our Bermuda journey.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment