Monday, September 14, 2009


Fall is here and I must admit that I miss jean/sweatshirt weather already. I think my favorite time of the year is fall in Pennsylvania or Minnesota. I love the changing colors of the trees, warm apple cider, pumpkins, and being comfortable in your favorite pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. It will be hard for me as September and October still bring in the 80 degree temperatures. We are excited that it will still be warm for our fall guests as we have three sets of visitors coming starting this week. We had about 2 months off from visitors and I am excited to share Bermuda with guests again as Ryan and I now know the island like the back of our hand. It isn't too hard when the island is only 21 square miles! Bermuda is actually one of the smallest territories in the world. Monaco and Gibraltar are the only notable islands smaller in size. Through all of the excitement we have had over the past 7 months, we realized this weekend that Bermuda can be boring. While we still enjoy doing touristy things, it is easy to try it all and feel lost for new ideas. I think that may happen anywhere you live, but on a rainy weekend such as this past one it was particularity true. I feel that Bermuda is focused on the family and Sunday is a day to attend church and relax/eat with relatives. Almost everything on Sunday is closed or open limited hours. The grocery store is only open from 12pm-5pm, and many cafe's and restaurants are closed. Most coffee shops aren't open so you can't even grab a cup of coffee. On weekdays boutiques, hardware stores, and cafe's are only open until 5pm or 6pm. While I think this is a good thing, it is hard to adjust when I am used to 24 hour supermarkets and shopping malls being open until 9:00pm.

Ryan kept busy this weekend by diving with his scuba club, the BSAC. Ryan has been taking classes for the past two weeks, but was finally able to go out and try diving. Right now lessons are focusing on safety techniques, but Ryan said being underwater is amazing. For some reason, it doesn't sound appealing to me, and I will continue to be happy floating on top with my mask and snorkel!

Until next time...

PS the picture is an old picture I took of a cemetery in Bermuda.

No comments:

Post a Comment