Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter Vacations

I was in Minnesota bearing the cold weather this past week. I actually enjoyed the snow and the cold wasn't too bad. I didn't miss wearing winter jackets (especially since mine is a little tight fitting in the middle) and trudging through the slush in boots. I decided that I miss these few things about the USA:
1. Family. It was great shopping with my mom and sister, eating dinner with the family, and seeing my extended family over the weekend.
2. Mexican. Yes, Mexican food is a must for me. There is no good authentic Mexican in Bermuda. At this point I would even settle for Taco Bell every once in awhile!
3. American interstates, large parking spots, and appropriate size roads! I did well switching back to driving on the right hand side of the road. I didn't however have my normal winter driving skills built up. Some ice and snow on the road made driving for me tense!
4. Pure Convenience. I would have said Target, shopping malls, large grocery stores, etc..., but it all leads back to convenience. Things are open late, there are stores where you can buy everything you need (Super Target was my dream come true!), and things are just plain affordable!

While I had a wonderful time back in the USA and even managed to bring back two extremely full suitcases and a new piece of IKEA furniture, I was excited to get back to my home. Bermuda has become our home for now and flying in over the beautiful blue waters and sandy shores of the island had me excited to get back. The weather has been getting better. There is still a rain shower almost every day and unexpected winds, but the sun is out and the temperatures are staying steady in the low 60's. We are also excited to leave in a few weeks for Cabo San Lucas. While we are leaving one tropical paradise for another, we are excited for some time away together. We will be enjoying a week vacation/baby moon with another pregnant couple. It should be a great time.

Until next time...

1 comment: