Friday, February 19, 2010

International Women's Club


When arriving in Bermuda as a wife of a work permit holder, I felt different. Mainly because I so desperately wanted to work and create my own identity in Bermuda. As you know from previous postings, since I am not in the insurance, finance, or hospitality industry, obtaining work has been very difficult. So in order to create some sort of identity, keep myself busy, and meet other people I have volunteered. While I have always liked to give back whether it be with time or monetary gifts, I have never considered myself a philanthropist. I guess I still don't consider myself a philanthropist, but I have done some meaningful work in Bermuda and along the way I have met some great people on this little island.

Through volunteering I met a woman that drug me along to an International Women's Club of Bermuda (IWC) luncheon. She said it would be a great way to meet other women. I decided to go as I knew if I became a member I would have the opportunity participate in activities such as book clubs, badminton, golf clinics, mahjong, and other exciting opportunities (some sarcasm inserted). I am 27 years old not 60, but I attended with an open mind. According to the clubs President, "The IWC’s goals are to promote intellectual growth, to encourage social fellowship, to provide service to community and to assist in the integration of newcomers to Bermuda. The IWC is over two hundred members strong." Since joining I have attended 3 monthly luncheons. They are at different restaurants and have different activities and speakers each month. I myself enjoy eating at different places across the island, but the speakers have also been interesting and fitting for a woman's needs. This month being heart health month, we listened to a speaker on heart health in woman. When I look around the room at these luncheons, I somethings wonder how I fit in. The woman who are all very nice and pleasant sometimes remind me of the woman from either the Golden Girls or The Real Housewives for Orange County. I must fall somewhere in between there. For the time being I will continue to attend these meeting while I don't have a little one to look after. I have enjoyed the Philanthropy aspect of this club and some of the connections I have made to other woman trying to find an identity for themselves in Bermuda too.

As an update, to my last blog. Our landlord has unlocked the coin operation piece of the dryer and washer. We will now keep track of our laundry usage and pay the electric company monthly. No more trips to the bank for rolls of quarters...thank goodness!

*Golden Girl image thanks to BuddyTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment