Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Soup Winner!


I decided a few weeks ago to enter a soup competition. The event was called Soup-A-Bowl and it was a charity function to raise money for the needy and hungry in Bermuda. The charity putting on this event is called The Eliza Dolittle Society of Bermuda. I wanted to attend the event because the proceeds went to a good cause but also because you were able to eat soup all night and at the end of the event you took home a hand painted bowl from The Island Shop. The Island Shop is one of my favorite stores in Bermuda. The artist for the shop designs island inspired dishware, plaques, ornaments, and other beautiful pieces. All of the ceramic items are hand painted in Italy. They are expensive, so before this event I only had a small hand painted plaque.

Anyways, I entered the soup competition in order to hopefully receive a free ticket to the Soup-A-Bowl event. If your soup recipe was listed in the top 3 then you were given a free $75 ticket for the event. I found out a few days before the event that my wild rice soup recipe was chosen in the top 3 out of the 30+ entries! All I had to do was submit my recipe and the chefs at the Fairmont Hotels would prepare the recipe on the night of the event. At the event there were over 30 soups to try that were prepared by local restaurants. Then there were the 3 soup winners of the competition. I was up against an Italian Wedding Soup and a Banana Curry Soup. Everyone enjoyed my wild rice soup and in the end I was announced the winner of the competition! I was given 8 bowls, a platter, and a soup tureen with a ladle! It was an amazing gift that is valued at over $1,000! Ryan is the most excited about my winning! Ha...he said that if I won I would have to get rid of something else in the house to make room. That is not going to happen, I will be happily displaying my soup tureen where ever I can find the room!

For my soup recipe, click on this link and it will take you to the Eliza Dolittle page where it was announced that I was the winner.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment